Chances are you are going to have to deal with the occasional late Rent payment if you are a Landlord for long enough. Use this Late Rent Payment Checklist to help you stay as unemotional about the process as possible and to deal it with it systematically and professionally.
Follow the system, modeling the scripts for the telephone calls we provide in the checklists, and you will find that the frequency of your late rent payments will go down.
One critical reminder… do not hesitate to start Eviction proceedings if a Tenant has not paid rent. You can always stop them if they really do pay, but more often than not years and years of experience shows that their excuse is really just a stall tactic.
- If, by the 5th day, we have not received the rent payment, we should use the Eviction Checklist™ to at least start the eviction process.
- Pull the Tenant File for the Tenant that has not paid rent.
- Call them with the intention of talking to a live person.
- Remind them they promised you that they'd pay on time (verbally and in the Lease).
- Remind Tenant about local Tenant Charities they may inquire to about help paying rent.
- Remind them to ask friends and family for help.
- If it is true for you, consider explaining to them that if they don't pay rent, you have trouble paying the Mortgage which means the Lender will Foreclose. Explain that they are not flexible with you.
- If you do not get a live person, leave a message and call the next contact number we have leaving a message on each one.
- Sample Voice Mail Message For Day #1: Hi Mr. (Tenant Last Name)… this is Ms. (Landlord Last Name), your landlord. I need to speak with you about something regarding your property that you're leasing from us. It is important that you call me back today at (XXX) XXX-XXXX. I look forward to speaking with you later today.
- Sample Voice Mail Message If They Do Not Call You Back: Hi Mr. (Tenant Last Name)… this is Ms. (Landlord Last Name) again. I have not heard back from you yet and it is very important that I talk to you today. Please call me at (XXX) XXX-XXXX. I am looking forward to speaking with you.
- Sample Voice Mail Message If They Have Called You Back: Hi Mr. (Tenant Last Name)… this is Ms. (Landlord Last Name) again calling about what we discussed yesterday. Could you please call me at (XXX) XXX-XXXX? Thanks and I am looking forward to speaking with you.
- Sample Voice Mail Message For Final Day Before Eviction And They Have Not Called Back: Hi Mr. (Tenant Last Name)… this is Ms. (Landlord Last Name). I have called several times over the past four days and have not heard back. It is urgent that you call me at (XXX) XXX-XXXX immediately.
- Sample Voice Mail Message For Final Day Before Eviction And They Have Called Back: Hi Mr. (Tenant Last Name)… this is Ms. (Landlord Last Name). I still have not received what we discussed. I'm going to follow up with some paperwork to you, but could you please call me at (XXX) XXX-XXXX? Thank you.
- Each time you call AND for each number you call be sure to log it in the Tenant Communication Log.
- If they call you back, be sure to log that in the Tenant Communication Log and document exactly what was said including dates, times, amounts and the story of why rent was not paid.